Good morning Metaverse Business Brief readers. Big news on the tech advancements front along with plenty of updates on Metaverse funding. Welcome to our weekly roundup.
Prefer to listen to your brief?
Brazilian twins who were joined at the head have been successfully separated with the help of virtual reality.
The teams spent months trialling techniques using virtual reality projections of the twins, based on CT and MRI scans. Mr Jeelani told the PA news agency: “It’s just wonderful. It’s really great to see the anatomy and do the surgery before you actually put the children at any risk.
2022 Finalists for the 6th International VR Awards have been announced.
Resident Evil 4 and Zenith: The Last City were nominated for VR Game of the Year and Pico and Varjo face off in the VR Hardware of the Year category. View the full list here.
Synchron has implanted its BCI in a human for the first time.
Now it’s one step closer to distribution. Synchron, a company creating a brain-computer interface (BCI) creates devices that convert brain signals to commands.
Gym Class just closed an $8 million seed round from Andreessen Horowitz.
Other backers include Founders, Inc., Todd and Rahul’s Angel Fund and Balaji Srinivasan. The early access version is a highly rated App with good potential, thanks to it’s physics-based gameplay and full-body kinematics
Meta Platforms Inc. is set to raise $10 billion in its first-ever bond offering. All in an effort to fund share buybacks and investments to revamp its business.
Playstudios is venturing into the web3 world with a new blockchain division and investment fund. It also announced a $10 million investment, Future Fund, to back companies building rewarded play options.
DataMesh closes a new funding round led by SIG Asia. Singtel Innov8 and Global Brain also participated.
Stadium Live raises US$10m to fund expansion. Kevin Durant and Blaise Matuidi are among the investors for the Gen Z sports Metaverse startup.
Keep an eye on
- RP1 has simulated putting 4,000 people together in a single metaverse plaza. The Metaverse Startup has achieved a ground-breaking accomplishment.
- Among Us VR beta is available for sign-up. A link to the process was provided alongside the announcement.
- InfiniteWorld is serious about Web3 and the metaverse. It has acquired game studio Super Bit Machine for an undisclosed price.
- V43 of Quest’s software will include new video recording options, plus the addition of new permissions for eye and facial expression tracking on Quest Pro.
Events to be at
- Aug 23-28 Cologne | Gamescom
- Aug 26-27 Shanghai | AWE Asia – Exclusive 20% off code
- Aug 31 – Sep 10 Venice | Venice Film Festival
- Sep 22-25 London | EGX London
- Sep 22 – 23 London | Zebu Live – Web3 & Crypto Conference
- Oct 3-4 San Fran | Metabeat
- Oct 20 – 21 Lisbon | AWE EU
- Nov 28 – Dec 02 Rotterdam | Immersive Tech Week
- Dec 02 Rotterdam | The 6th International VR Awards
Our best wishes for a productive day. Please send any news, comments, and a hamper of chocolate to [email protected].