The first in our two-part Insights Live series on where XR is heading. We hosted guest experts Victor Pardinho from Sense of Space, Richard Armstrong from Cassini.tech, and Ross Toomer from Care Reality. The panel was led and moderated by Maciej Kniter from Flint Systems.
Each panellist brought their own unique insight in this wide-ranging discussion that touched on XR’s use in governance, entertainment, and education and training. Watch the key highlights below.
The Key Highlights
Is XR heading towards mass adoption or will it be restricted to a selected few?
- Enterprise will be a prominent growth market for XR. Particular areas of interest are education and training for instance.
- Recent metaverse and cryptocurrency media attention distracts from a concentrated focus on XR hardware.
- Consumer behaviour is enabling wider adoption in the enterprise market. With more people having experienced XR there is less of a focus on client education.
What will be remembered as the milestone piece of XR hardware in 2022?
- PSVR 2 will reach a huge new audience of non-VR gamers.
- A rumoured Apple headset is expected to be announced at WWDC in June.
- This will contribute to smart glasses becoming as common as smartphones in the future but there remain a lot of unanswered questions.
- The Meta Quest Pro will be a game-changer if it is a true XR headset at an accessible price point.
Is the metaverse a force for good? How do you see the concept developing?
- The adoption of VR social platforms in the last 12 – 18 months has been a catalyst for users to understand how we can engage and collaborate in virtual environments. But managing the crossover between personal and professional use will be a challenge.
- The lack of an accepted definition of the metaverse is also an issue.
- The integration of commerce and interoperable platforms are essential to the realization of the metaverse.
- The metaverse will not or should not be centralized.
- Interest in NFTs and web 3.0 is increasing quicker than XR. As a result, there needs to be more of a dialogue between these two communities.
Visit our calendar and register for our upcoming episodes to explore more of what our Insights Live Webinars have to offer.